HNRS 110 (Section 009) Wiki
Here you will find assignments and directions for Dr. McKnight’s section of HNRS 110. Please bookmark this page and refer to it for additional information including weekly readings, relevant current events, and pointers on how to successfully achieve the HNRS 110 goals.
- Formulate researchable questions
- Appreciate different perspectives
- Develop basic research skills
- Learn fundamental reporting standards
- Breadth (scope) and Depth
- Time frame
Notes from Rosa Parks Reading
- official stories
- multiple perspectives
- merging perspectives
Sources of Evidence
Argumentation and Logical Fallacies
Scoring Rubric for Research Paper Drafts
- 30 pts Is the research motivated by a clear question? Does it make clear the complete shape of its argument? As a result of his/her research, does the writer make a specific and contestable claim? Is this claim distinct from the claims made by the writer’s sources? Is it clear why this claim is significant?
- 20 pts Does the author use sources to provide multiple perspectives on the issue? Do these sources offer the kind of evidence the writer needs to support his/her claim?
- 20 pts How well does the writer synthesize information? Does the writer need to include more analyses of sources (either paraphrased or quoted)? Is every quotation introduced in such a way that the reader knows exactly how it contributes to the argument? Is every quotation followed up by analysis, or presented in such a way to make clear the distinction between the writer’s perspective and that of the source?
- 20 pts Is the paper organized to guide and persuade the reader? Does it transition well from paragraph to paragraph and from section to section? Does the paper have an effective introduction and conclusion?
- 10 pts Is it at least 10 pages long and follow the general MLA guidelines? Does it include both a Works Cited of at least 10 sources and also a Works Consulted that are accurate (in correct MLA format) and complete? Has the writer correctly used in-text citations for at least 6 sources (no more than 3 of them web pages)?